Marco Cappa participated in the project NoWaste Food as part of his studies and as a member of the GO Green Office. This project started as an initiative of TGD association during the academic year 2015/2016 and its aim was to reduce food waste in the canteens and banqueting of TU/e .
The outcome of this collaboration was a report with information about the current status at the TU/e canteens and different options to improve sustainability in them. An analysis on the implications, limitations and requirements that such a change would bring was also provided in the report.
Some of the possible solutions to improve sustainability are:
- Having last minute offers: Incentivizing the consumption of leftover food before the closure of the canteen.
- Foodie Bags: Allow participants from meetings to take the leftovers with them.
- Awareness messages: Increase students and staff awareness about sustainability regarding food.
- Organic waste reuse: Local production of biogas or compost.
- Biodegradable cutlery: Switch from plastic and steel cutlery to biodegradable cutlery.
Sustainability goals involved: 2, 11, 13